Tuesday 21 August 2007

Ironic...

I’m no environmentalist. Yes, I love a clean city, and can’t stand vehicles that emit black streams of carcinogenic muck, but strangely I felt at home stuck in the nauseous traffic of one of Chennai’s busy shopping areas. Stuck in a jam surrounded on all sides by pollution that was no doubt clogging up my newly cleansed face (after a two-hr long luxurious facial at the parlour), I realized how I missed even the traffic of city life. I never thought I would say this, but it rings true! After negotiating bullock carts, rickety buses and trucks during my 5.30 am driving lessons in Vellore, I enjoyed being surrounded by more civilized means of transport. Nope, I’m no rich snob of a city girl being forced to live in a little town. The town has an ‘own-ness’ (if you know what I mean) that I’m sure I will miss when we shift back to the city.
Just another irony of life, how you miss what you don’t have, even if you hated it when you had to put up with it. How the mind associates some of the worst things with some of the best. Like how the sickening smell of cigarette smoke reminds me of one my best friends and room-mates in Mumbai.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And does the sound of music and partying remind you of some more important people in your life?
City life is good, but I am now getting nostalgic for hills and simple living again :(

Bird said...

Interesting..
Thought provoking..

Y dont u elaborate that a bit more..?
Get into book writing..;)

westwind blowing said...

yeah raji, the sound of music does remind me of some 'important' person :)

thx bird, i will write that book someday!

journalist said...

hi dinesh here

dinesh-akula.blogspot.com

sai said...

when will u update ur blog..its the samthing i read the last time i was here....that was when u wrote tht....lol